Originated from Singapore, this dish has spread wide to Malaysia. Mostly sold at pasar malam (night markets). Roti (in Malay) means bread. Not really sure where John came from. Hahaha...there are so many history spread all over the net...with recipes too. It's basically an omelette sandwich.
I was impressed with Kak Hana's recipe, who is currently residing in Kanazawa, Japan. A lady who always comes up with yummy recipes, never failed to try other's recipes and a Mom of 3D's! Hehe...yeah, she got 3 sons and their name starts with D...
Kak Hana, allow me to post the recipe here, translated into English ya! Thanks alot for sharing! Next time nak buat inti sama untuk karipap pulak! hehehe...amacam? Okey tak???
Roti John by Kak Hana
- 150g minced meat (I used chicken)
- 1 / 2 onion ~ thinly diced
- 1 tsp curry powder - make a paste with little water (I mistakenly put 1 tbsp )
- Carrot / potatoes - (optional) - thinly diced, I had small sized potato
- 2 eggs ~ beaten
- Coriander leaves - finely chopped (I had 1 tbsp)
- Butter/ cooking oil
- 2 Hotdog breads (may sub with normal bread)
- Chili/Tomato sauce
- Saute onions until fragrant. Add meat and carrot/potato. Give it a stir, then add curry powder paste and salt. Stir until chicken n potato cooked, thicken. Set aside.
- In another bowl, add the meat gravy and corriander leaves into beaten egg. Mix together. Halve 3/4 of each hotdog bread.
- Heat butter in a pan (preferably nonstick pan). Pour 1/2 egg~meat mixture, cook like omelette. Place the bread on the omelette. Folding in the sides of the egg. ( I cut off the extra egg).
- Once the egg is cooked, dish out together with hotdog bread. Squeeze some chilli/tomato sauce/mayonnaise on. Fold the bread together and cut into 3. Serve.
KakHana has inserted preparation pics...so do me, for easy reference!
Okey, that is all for now! Take care...Bye