Dear weight-watchers and durian haters, you may enter with caution...lol! Durian-lovers, enjoy!!!
Durian Crepes, Durian Crepes, Durian Crepes...this is the only title I currently read at most of the Malaysian food blogs. Gosh, I was so tempted to make this! Durian Crepes has gone viral all over...
Durian, as we call it the "King of Fruits" is largely famous in Malaysia, Brunei and Indonesia. Although it can be the most favourite fruit of all, the distinctive odour, can be too strong for some.
In my family, everyone loves durian except for our little Ashika! She will put that disgusted face when she sees us enjoying durian! But she somehow joined me and Rishie for these Durian Crepes today. She had one piece ;)
Now, how is a Durian Crepe made? Yes, basically you need to make the crepes just like how you make pancakes, but here the crepes must be really thin. The crepes then will be filled with durian flesh and whipped fresh cream. Some also add custard cream. I shall try that the next time.
I've bookmarked few recipes for the crepe part. As this was my first attempt in making Durian Crepes, I chose the most simple one, easier ingredients.
The pictorial stepwise from these two sites were really helpful. Thank you Ana Suzana and Jom Masak!!! ^_^
A bloggerfriend, Kak Ilah JY used the same recipe for hers too, looks absolutely soft!
When everyone used a round nonstick pan to make the crepe, I used my little rectangular pan...guess it makes the folding part easier, for me!
Recipe by : Jom Masak
Source : Ana Suzana
For the crepe; I just put everything in a food processor and blend them smooth. :)
- 50gm plain flour ~ sifted
- 1 tbsp potato starch ~ sifted
- 1 egg ~ lightly beaten with fork
- 2 tbsp fine granulated sugar
- 3 tsp melted buter
- 160ml water
- 40ml evaporated milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- few dashes of coloring ~ I used pink
- Add plain flour, potato starch and sugar in a bowl. Add evaporated milk and egg, stir with a hand whisk. Add water, vanilla essence, melted butter, stir thoroughly and add coloring.
- Sieve the batter into another bowl.
- Prepare a nonstick pan with low-medium heat. Using a soup ladle, take some batter and pour on the pan, make it round and thin. Easier if you use a smaller round pan. You can just swirl it by moving the pan a little.
- Cook for 1 minute maximum, or until the bottom of the crepe is cooked and turns slightly brown. Use a wooden spatula to check the sides. DO NOT FLIP OVER THE CREPE!
- Gently remove the crepe and place on a baking paper or separate plates. This is to avoid the crepes to stick on each other.
- Make sure the browned part of the crepe is now facing upwards. The soft one is underside.
- Repeat the same until done.
For the filling;
- Sufficient durian flesh ~ remove the seeds
- 150ml fresh cream ~ whipped until a soft peak forms
To prepare the Durian Crepes...
- Use a teaspoon for this. Add 1 tsp of whipped cream in the center of the prepared crepe.
- Followed by 1 tsp or more durian flesh on the cream. Now, add 1 tsp whipped cream again on the durian flesh.
- Wrap the crepe by folding in opposite sides of the crepe, fully cover the filling. Then fold in the other ends. Set aside.
- Repeat the same for remaining crepes.
- These crepes are then stored in refrigerator for better taste. Or you can have it just like that! Choice is yours.
My Note :~
* I filled with more durian flesh than whipped cream :)
* May substitute jackfruit or mango for durian :)
This one is before they were refrigerated...soft filling...oooo yumm!
Not-so-perfect wrap, but who cares here! LOL :)
The Durian Crepes virus that attacked me has now left...finally I could try them! And it's worth the time and effort. I'm gonna make the crepe more thinner next time...