Ikan Masak Merah / Fish in Spicy Red Sauce...
A delayed post...
A plate of white rice with this spicy fish....completes my lunch! :-D
IKAN MASAK MERAH / FISH IN SPICY RED SAUCE
- 6 blocks of fresh mackerel
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 5 shallots *
- 3 cloves of garlic *
- 1/2 inch ginger *
- 2 onions *
- 4 tbsp dried chilli paste / cili boh ~ add or less to your preference
- 2 stalks lemongrass ~ slightly crushed
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 1/2 cups water ( may add some coconut milk )
- Rub fish blocks with turmeric powder and salt. Leave aside for 15 minutes.
- Using a food processor, blend smooth ingredients marked *.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry the fish blocks until golden. Drain on paper towel.
- Using the same oil, stir fry the blended ingredients together with lemongrass for 2 minutes.
- Add dried chilli paste and continue stirring for another 10 minutes over medium heat, until the raw smell leaves.
- Add tomato puree, water, tamarind paste and salt.
- Allow the gravy to boil and thickens a little. ( Add more water if you want a runny gravy )
- Place the fried fish blocks in the gravy and mix gently. Allow to simmer and check for salt.
- Dish out and ready to be served :)
You may do the same with chicken. I've posted one long time back (in Malay)....AYAM MASAK MERAH
By the way, Ashika's Orientation Day 2 went on fine today. She was sleepy though...LOL!
Waiting for Orientation Day 3 tomorrow...final one. And she'll be joining the kindie from January onwards :)