Chicken Varuval (South Indian Dry-Fried Chicken)...one of my favourite chicken dish! Everytime I visit a south Indian restaurant, this would be the first item I look for in their menu card! Sometimes, the taste favours me...sometimes not...awwww...
So, here we go!
CHICKEN VARUVAL by love2cook
- 1 whole chicken ~ cleaned and cut into smaller pieces
- 3 tbsp garlic-ginger paste
- 2 tbsp chilli powder ( may also add some curry powder)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 8 dried chillies ~ cut into pieces
- 2 onions ~ sliced/cut into rings
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 lemongrass ~ crushed
- 1 pc cinnamon stick
- 2 pcs star anise
- 2 pcs cardamoms
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp grounded blackpepper
- salt to taste
- oil for frying
Cooking Method :~
- Marinate chicken pieces with garlic-ginger paste, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt for 20 mins.
- Heat oil in wok, fry marinated chicken till cooked and set aside.
- Reduce the remaining oil. Sauté cinnamon stick, star anises, cardamoms, fennel and cumin seeds till fragrant.
- Add the sliced onions, dried chillies, lemongrass and curry leaves. Stir till they turn light brown.
- Add the fried chicken, blackpepper and lil salt. Mix together. Dish out.
And, here's a Thank You card from Kak AlongRoz...thanks alot for accepting the awards kak!