A simple Fish Sambal recipe from my kitchen to you.... :)
I was looking high and low for threadfin (senangin)...unfortunately I didn't find them! And got myself some fresh mackerels. Initial plan is to just fry the mackerels but my younger sister requested for sambal, infact she said she'll eat anything made of fish! I teased her to eat it raw and she was willing to, if I pay her RM100...lol she might do it! I stepped back... :D
Realised I've not cooked fish sambal for some time...so might as well cook it. The spiciness was just right because my kids need to eat the same. Everyone enjoyed the dish, so do myself! The fish was indeed very fresh. I had to do a quick photoshoot as there were few tummies already waiting for me!
You may try out this sambal with any fishes of your choice.
FISH SAMBAL / SAMBAL IKAN
- 10 blocks of fresh mackerel
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- few dashes of coarse blackpepper
- 5 shallots *
- 7 cloves of garlic *
- 1/2 inch ginger *
- 1/2 inch shrimp paste / belacan *
- 2 onions ~ sliced
- 5 tbsp dried chilli paste / cili boh ~ add or less to your preference
- 2 stalks lemongrass ~ slightly crushed
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- 2 cups water
- Rub fish blocks with turmeric powder, blackpepper and some salt. Leave aside for 15 minutes.
- Using a food processor, blend smooth ingredients marked *.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry the fish blocks until golden. Place on paper towel.
- Using the same oil, stir fry the blended ingredients together with lemongrass for 1 minute.
- Add dried chilli paste and continue stirring for another 5-7 minutes over medium heat, until the raw smell leaves.
- Stir in the sliced onion and fry for another 1 minute. Pour water, tamarind paste and salt.
- Allow the gravy to boil and thickens a little.
- Place the fried fish blocks in the gravy and mix gently. Allow to simmer and check for sallt. Add if needed.
- Dish out and ready to be served :)
Hey wait, don't go yet! Hahaha...there's something I would like to share with you still...
One of my recent Giveaway winners, Amelia from Amelia's De-ssert has posted the goodies she received from me in her blog. And to my surprise, she really made use some of the goodies I sent. Head over to her brilliant and creative post HERE to see what she has done with them. How many of you have turned a normal cupcake into flower pots? Amelia did! Such a creative woman she is. I nicked her The Desserts Queen! :)
I happened to call her to inform that the goodies box has been couriered to her. And know what, that was suppose to be our first tele-chat, but we talked to each other like no-strangers, lol! I must admit that we two are so talkatives. She, in return sent me these beautiful art pieces, virtually of couse...I love them all, Amelia. You are so thoughtful...and yeah I will get them in real when we happened to meet one day, yay! :)
Look at these gorgeous...
Chocolate Candy Bouquet
Prune Sunflower Cupcakes...
Prune Garden Cupcakes...
Gorgeous handwork Amelia, I can hardly do a petal...lol! Tonnes of thank you :)
And, since you love teddies, here's a...