Gonna try again with other parts of chicken and also fry them first next time. Something for a change...
I too sometimes make my own chilli paste, saute them longer in wok and store in refrigerator. The chilli paste used for this dish is something similar like I do, just an additional galangal from my side.
Check out the recipe...thanks to Echo's Kitchen! We enjoyed the dish with steamed rice and forgot the whole world! Yeayyy ...
VIETNAMESE SPICY LEMONGRASS CHICKEN
by Echo's Kitchen
Let's make the Spicy Lemongrass Paste first...
Ingredients : 2-3 times cooking
- 4-5 stalks lemongrass ~ use only the white part
- 25 pcs fried chillis (soak in hot boiled water for 5 minutes)
- 1 1/2 inch of ginger
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch galangal ~ my addition
- 1/2 cup of cooking oil ( you can also use 1/3 cup for less oil version )
- Blend all ingredients except for oil with some water if needed until it forms paste.`
- In a pot, heat oil and saute the blend paste over low-medium heat. The longer it's sauteed the better. I used to do it up to an hour, depends on the quantity.
- Saute until the paste becomes thick.
- This paste can be stored in an airtight container and kept chilled.
For the Chicken...
- 2 tbsp Spicy Lemongrass Paste
- 1-1.5 lb chicken pieces/chicken breast pieces (marinate with a pinch of black pepper powder and some salt)
- 1 tsp meat curry powder
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce/ fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar/ palm sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Heat up a cooking pan, cook the chicken pieces WITHOUT oil, cover if needed, until the grease starts to release. (BUT If using skinless chicken/breast, you will need to add 1 tsp of oil or so to grease the pan ~ I used nonstick pan)
- When the grease released is visible, stir in the chopped onion, and cook for another minute.
- Add curry powder, stir well and add Spicy Lemongrass Paste, stir for another minute.
- Add water, salt, soy sauce/fish sauce and sugar.
- Bring it to boil and stir until the mixture thickens a little.