Made some curry using Threadfin fish or it's best known as Senangin in Malay. Simply tasty and meaty fish, whether you make it curry, fry or asam pedas!
THREADFIN FISH CURRY / IKAN SENANGIN MASAK KARI by love2cook
- 2-3 slices of Threadfin ~ cleaned
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice seeds (mustard seeds, cumin seeds & fenugreek seeds)
- 4 garlic cloves ~ chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger ~ chopped
- 1 onion ~ sliced
- 2 green chillis ~ sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass ~ lightly crushed
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 3-4 large lady fingers ~ chop off both edges
- 3 cups of water
- 2 tbsps fish curry powder
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 80ml coconut milk ~ optional ( I added)
- 1 large tomato ~ cubed
- 2/3 tsp tamarind paste
- Heat oil in wok. Saute mixed spice seeds. Add onion, green chillis, lemongrass and curry leaves. Stir until fragrant, add garlic and ginger. Stir for 1 minute.
- Add water, tamarind paste, fish curry powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and lady fingers. Let it boil again for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes.
- Now, add the fish blocks. Cover the wok and cook under medium heat for another 8 minutes or until fish is cooked. Stir gently once awhile.
- Check for salt and dish out.
*** Adjust the amount of water used according to your preference. I'd always prefer thick curries.
I too fried some threadfin to go along with the curry and rice.