My Amma's Birthday and her Sura Puttu recipe ;)
My Amma turned a year older today. Wish her a blessed birthday and a healthy long life ahead. Usually it should be others treating a birthday baby, but it's other way round in our case. I requested my Amma to make my favourite dishes with Sura (shark) on her birthday.
She prepared a superb lunch for us today with her delicious and scrumptious Sura Curry, Sura Puttu, Sura Varuval and Mustard Green Stir Fry. I had double serving with white rice...lol!
We bought her her favourite Cheesecake when we visited her after kid's school over.
I shot this cake using my Galaxy Note at the bakery upon purchase ;)
Now, let's move on to one of the dishes she prepared for us today..Sura Puttu. I'm just giving you a rough measurement as I can't get a detailed recipe from my Amma. Her palm is her measuring tool!
SURA PUTTU (SHARK PUTTU)by Amma
- 3 cups of shark fish flesh plus some cartilage part (skinned)
- enough water
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1.5 tbsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp fennel powder
- 3 shallots ~ thinly sliced
- 1 green chilli ~ sliced
- 2 dried chillies ~ sliced
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- In a small wok or pot, mix the fish with turmeric powder and salt. Add water and allow to boil until it dries up.
- In another bowl, mix boiled fish with shredded coconut, chilli powder, fennel powder and little salt.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in same wok you boiled the fish earlier. Saute mustard seeds, then add shallots, chillies and curry leaves until fragrant.
- Add in the fish coconut mixture and keep stirring for 5 minutes. Dish out and serve.
Goes well with a plate of white rice and fish curry :)