Note :~ This is a spicy dish, adjust the chilli intake if you need to... ;)
SPICY FISH & ONION FRY
Ingredients (A) :~
- 5 blocks mackerel fish
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 onion ~ cut into rings
- 4 kaffir lime leaves ~ shredded
- 5 pcs bird's eye chillies (cili padi ) ~ do not slice
- 1/2 tsp tamarind paste
- 1/4 cup water
- cooking oil
- 6 shallots
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 1/2 inch fresh turmeric
- 1 inch shrimp paste (belacan)
- 5 pcs bird's eye chillies (cili padi )
- Rub fish blocks thoroughly with turmeric powder and salt. Marinade for 15 minutes.
- Using a food processer, grind together ingredients (B).
- Deep fry the fish blocks in oil until well cooked. Place the fried fish on a serving plate. Keep aside.
- Leave about 4 tbsp oil in pan, saute the ground ingredients for 3 minutes. Add onion rings, chillies and shredded kaffir lime leaves.
- Keep stirring for another 3 minutes. Add water, tamarind paste and salt. Allow the gravy to boil and thicken.
- Check the seasoning and turn off the heat.
- Pour the onion gravy onto the readied fried fish. Serve with hot rice and some vege by side :)
My simplest way...