Bored of making prawn dish the same style everytime? Why don't you try my masala style! ;)
No doubt this dish requires a little more steps, but the end result would worth your effort. Hope you'll enjoy it too like my son, who loves prawn!
PRAWN MASALA CURRY
- 1 kg large prawn ~ shelled and veined ( wash, pat dry and rub with some salt )
- 1 large onion ~ sliced
- 2 tomatoes ~ cubed
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- 1 cup or more water
- handful of coriander leaves
- 50ml thick coconut milk
- salt to taste
- cooking oil
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1.5 tbsp fish curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 handful curry leaves
- 7 shallots ~ peeled
- 4 cloves garlic ~ peeled
- 1 inch ginger ~ peeled
- 3 green chillies
- In a wok, dry toast Ingredients (B) for 3 minutes until fragrant. Set aside.
- Add some oil in same wok and fry Ingredients (C) for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Using a food processor, grind smooth B and C together.
- Add a little more oil in wok and fry the prawns. Set aside.
- Stir fry onion and add the ground ingredients. Keep stirring for few minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tamarind paste, water, coconut milk and salt. Let the gravy boil a few times.
- Enter the fried prawns. Mix well and allow to cook for another 2 minutes. Check for salt.
- Garnish with coriander leaves before serving.
NOTE :~ You may use the same recipe for fish masala. Just rub the fish with some salt and turmeric powder, and fry.
Enjoy and happy cooking!
More rice anyone? ^_^