I'll start with a Moist Butter Cake by Ju from The Little Teochew. Guess the word moist attracted me enough to try this simple recipe BUT...truly delicious, soft, yummy cake.
MOIST BUTTER CAKE by Ju, The Little Teochew
- 195g all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt ( I put 1/4 tsp only )
- 170g butter, softened
- 225g sugar
- 1 large egg, plus one large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 tbsp whole milk
Optional: Add a splash of BRANDY! Yum. This is the secret ingredient that really makes the cake come alive. I used Camus XO. ( skipped )
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees celsius. Butter and line a 9-inch cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using a mixer on medium speed, cream butter and sugar until fluffy for about about 2 minutes.
- Beat in egg, egg yolk and vanilla until well-combined.
- On low speed, add flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with milk.
- Switch mixer to medium and beat for 10 to 15 seconds, just until batter appears uniform.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top with spatula or knife.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until it reaches a dark-gold color and an inserted cake tester comes out clean.
- Let to rest in pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a cake stand or platter. Sift with icing sugar if desired.
Thanks to Ju from The Little Teochew for sharing the recipe. She has few more collection of butter cakes which I've bookmarked as well.
p/s...I'm still recovering from my flu.