Thai Style Prawn & Petai (Bitter Beans)..
We used to have Thai Style Prawn & Petai at a Thai restaurant nearby our home and my Hubby just loves it! I wanted to imitate the dish by using selected ingredients. I'm aware they used a special sauce called Nam Prik Pao (Thai Chilli Paste) but I did not add that in my list.
Check out how I made this dish and received very good reviews from both my Hubby and son. It's quick and simple, trust me! We had it together with plain rice, Kailan Oyster Sauce and Tom Yum Fried Chicken (will post the recipe).
THAI STYLE PRAWN & PETAI
- 700gm large prawn ~ skinned and deveined
- 250gm petai (bitter bean) ~ halved
- 1 inch ginger *
- 5 cloves garlic * pounded together
- 2 onions ~ cut into rings
- 1 red chilli ~ sliced
- 4 pcs kaffir lime leaves ( daun limau purut )
- 1 tbsp dried chilli paste
- 1 tbsp tom yum paste ( I used Knorr )
- 1/2 tsp tamarind paste
- 2 tsps fish sauce
- salt to taste
- 50ml water
- Mix some salt to the cleaned prawns. Fry them in heated oil for 2 minutes and set aside on a paper towel.
- Reduce the oil in pan, enough for stir frying. Saute pounded ginger & garlic until fragrant. Add onion rings and red chilli. Stir for a minute.
- Add dried chilli paste, keep stirring for few minutes until the raw smell leaves. Add tom yum paste, fish sauce and kaffir lime leaves. Mix, add water and tamarind paste, allow to boil.
- Cook over medium to high heat and stir in the petai and fried prawns. Season with salt, give a quick stir stir and dish out. Have it with hot rice! Enjoyyyy :)
Do buzz me if you tried this easy-peasy recipe! ;)