Sothi Recipe ( Indian Style Mild Yellow Coconut Curry )
This is one of the most wanted recipes from my fellow readers. Sothi, an Indian style of mild yellow coconut curry...tastes a little similar to the Malay style Masak Lemak, is definitely one of my favourites.
I'd enjoy Sothi with plain rice and a spicy dish like mackerel or anchovies sambal. String hoppers (Putu Mayam in Malay) are another great companion for Sothi.
Preparing Sothi is just easy...you'll need to combine all the ingredients into a cooking pot and boil it. Easy right? Check it out!!!
To my readers... Ms. Sharnisha, Ms. Komala and Ms. Thamarai. Here's the recipe as per your request, apologize for the delay. Hope you ladies don't mind :~)
This is a vegan Sothi.
- 600ml thin coconut milk (you may add 300ml thick milk + 300ml water)
- 100ml thick coconut milk
- 1 large onion ~ sliced
- 2 green chillies ~ halved
- 2 tomatoes ~ cut each into 6
- 1 handful curry leaves
- 3/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2/3 tsp tamarind paste ( or 4 tbsp lime juice )
- salt to taste
- In a pot, mix all the ingredients except for thick coconut milk.
- Place the pot on medium heat and cook until the mixture boil a few times. Allow to simmer.
- Finally pour in the thick coconut milk. Remove pot from heat after 2 boils. Remember to check for salt.
You may substitute tamarind paste with 4 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice. And if you are using lime juice, add it to the mixture after you turn off the heat.
You are welcome to join my ongoing event :~
DEEPAVALI DELIGHTS 2012. Check the link for more info.