Not to disappoint him, I added cocoa in half of the batter. Please don't ask me where the marble disappeared...hahaha! Truly soft and delicious cake, do try it...no regrets.
VANILLA & CHOCOLATE MARBLE CAKE adapted from Martha Stewart and Archana Thomas.
- 113gm unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour (may sub with 1 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour + 1/4 cup cornflour)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- In a bowl, whisk together cake flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beat until well combined. Add vanilla.
- Add flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with buttermilk. Beat over low speed.
- Set aside 1/4 of the batter and add cocoa, stir until well combined.
- Spoon batters into a cake tin in 2 layers, alternating spoonfuls of vanilla and chocolate to simulate a checkerboard. To create marbling, run a table knife (or wooden skewer) through the batters in a swirling motion.
- Bake about 40 to 50 minutes. Transfer tin onto a wired rack for 10 minutes. Release cake from tin and cool completely.
- This cake can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.